Goldsmiths have been recorded working in Newcastle from the 13thC. Some late 17thC examples have a single castle as a "town" mark, and a lion passant. Later, the town mark of three separate castles was used. The Assay Office was re-established in 1702 although the early date letters were not consistently carried on. The Assay office was finally closed in 1884.