Archbishop Holgate’s Grammar School, York
1546 - 1985

AHGS Coat of Arms

These pages contain some information about the school, which A.H.G.S. web-searchers may find interesting. More information is added from time to time.
In the reorganisation of York's secondary education in 1985, A.H.G.S. (boys' grammar school) became Archbishop Holgate's School (coeducational comprehensive). This school continues in the Hull Road premises.

1985: the last year
To begin with, here are some pages about the last year of the grammar school. This was not very well documented. It was overshadowed by reorganisation.

This is not an official site. No further information about individuals can be supplied.

The School Hymn: "Servants of the Great Adventure"
Words, information and the school's official recording!

The Last Days at Lord Mayor's Walk
A magazine article from 1963, with photo of the Lord Mayor's Walk buildings.

The New Buildings at Hull Road
Text from the booklet issued to mark the Opening of the New School Buildings, 1963, with a list of key dates in the school's history.

Music
Amongst the musical strengths of the school were first performances (or first non-professional performances) of operas by Britten, Birtwistle and Russell.

Drama
From 1954, the school contributed the Wagon (or Waggon) Plays to the York Festivals. Over the years, at least 150 pupils must have taken part in these productions, which received much press and television coverage, including Blue Peter, Pebble Mill, and Desmond Morris's The Making of Mankind.

 

A good way of trying to track people is through the www’s Knowhere Guide to York pages. Enquiries can be placed through knowhere@c21pub.demon.co.uk. This is the most likely place for people to place general notices.
There is also a dedicated AHGS Noticeboard at http://www.angelfire.com/ak2/ahgs/index.html
A recent site chiefly about the school at Lord Mayor's Walk is at http://www.ahgs.co.uk

Site revised 1st April 2002