48 Bridge Road
"The World’s First Railway Ticket Office"
There is some doubt about the claim to be the first ticket office, but this building does stand alongside the line of the Stockton to Darlington Railway and it has the form of a toll house, with its bay windows, allowing a view along the track in each direction. It was built in about 1820 and is Grade II listed.
It has suffered from differential settlement due to its being partly built on an older retaining wall, and it was supported by substantial timber shoring for a number of years.
With Architects Stringer and Jones, the practice was responsible for underpinning and extensive stitching of the brick walls. The floors were levelled and it is now in use as part of a hostel for the homeless.
Client: Stockton Churches Mission to the Single Homeless
Architect: Stringer and Jones
Blackett-Ord Consulting Engineers
33 Chapel Street, Appleby-in-Westmorland, Cumbria CA16 6QR
Telephone: 017683 52572 Fax: 017683 52572