The Orangery at Gibside was commenced in 1772 to a design attributed to James Paine on stylistic grounds but without any documentary evidence. It originally had a hipped slated roof, but in the 1850's this was replaced by a glazed "ridge and furrow" roof which has since been removed leaving only the outer walls. The front of the building is a seven bay arcade of Tuscan columns, originally with large circular-topped sliding sash windows between them.
Each pair of arches was provided with temporary support, and each column was then dismantled in turn. The ironwork was removed and replaced with stainless steel and the column reassembled.
Client: The National Trust, Northumbria Region
Blackett-Ord Consulting Engineers