The first mention of the castle was in 1220, like all buildings it has undergone changes over the years so that it contained all the accomadation and amenities that a medieval laird could desire.
The tower was built in the late 15th century, probably by Alexander McCulloch, a close associate of King James IV.
The McCulloch family of Myrton and Cardoness were seemingly as tough as their castle but not so passive! The tower was their residence until 1622 when the mortgaged estate was aquired by the Gordens of Upper Ardwell, but later members of the family voilently refused to accept the change of ownership. At their hands in 1668 the sick widow of a Gordon laird was dragged outside to die, and in 1697 a member of the same family was shot and fatally wounded.
The tower has been uninhabited since the end of the 17th century.