Probably constructed during the Bronze Age about 2000-1500 BC for religious or funerary purposes.
Set on a raised mound in gently undulating landscape of the Bladnoch valley, the stone circle is one of the best preserved sites of its kind in Britain. It is unlike any of the other circles in the region, being more akin to some of the recumbent stone circles of the north-east of Scotland and south-east of Ireland.
It consists of nineteen granite boulders of somewhat dumpy proportions.
Near its centre is a row of three stones; the smallish central stone is flanked by two massive boulders (the alignment indicates they are facing south-east), and this central arrangement is backed by the remains of what has been interpreted as a D-shaped ring cairn.
Although it is uncertain what the three stones were used for.
In 1684 it was noted that these three stones were called '
King Galdus's tomb'.