CLINTZ HOUSE - THE PRISON, HARBOUR ROAD
HARBOUR ROAD, FORMER JAIL AND POLICE STATION, BOUNDARY WALLS
Built 1848. Former county jail and police station in Neo-Tudor
style. Rubble with polished red sandstone angles and margins.
T plan 2-storey and attic; offices to front, prison to rear.
Front Elevation: (projecting jamb of) has tall thin advanced
outer bays flanking gabled centre, originally with symmetrical
windows, one now enlarged at 1st floor. Single bipartite to
ground; 2 single lights and wide bipartite to 1st; small attic
light. All windows hoodmoulded, sash and case with plate glass
glazing. At outer bays and to gable apex tall octagonal ashlar
stacks. To rear: 5-hay, 2-storey block with cells to ground
lit by small rectangular- windows placed hugh up. 5 single
light 1st floor windows, sash and case with mixed 2 and link
walls to sides with sandstone dressings. Pedestrian gate to
left, vehicular opening to right. 12-pane glazing. End skews,
tall octagonal ashlar stacks. Rubble walls support decorative
cast-iron railings; rusticated granite gatepiers.
Notes: (Known as Clintz House)
Date Listed: 20/07/197
The Prison 1895
An extract from Gordon Fraser's 'Sketches and Anecdotes 'from
the Harbour Proceeding townwards the large many-chimnied building
on our left is the Prison for the lower district of the county
- Governor McNerney.
One would think, looking at the building from the outside,
that the following paragraph written in the Gallovidian should
not apply to such a spacious edifice:- Oct. 1st 1853:
'There are at present 18 prisoners in Wigtown Jail which was
constructed for 9 only. It is to be hoped that the present
state of crime will soon change; otherwise an addition to
the present building will be necessary.'
1884 Alexander Ross Police Sergeant Police Station and
House per C.A. McLean, county clerk - see extracts from the
1890 Alexander Ross Police Sergeant 'The Clintz'
1900 John McGill Police Sergeant Tenant
1912 William Ewing Police Inspector No visitors entry for
1913 entry states: 'Inspected cells and all in good order,
no prisoners - John Gilmour'….
1947 The poor condition of the buildings and cells is raised
again by Mr James Moodie….
1949 Jail Closed. The dampness was never cured and the womens
cell fireplace with the draughts was never bricked up.
2003 Privately owned and currently under restoration.