Builders: William Denny & Bros Dumbarton 1905
Propulsion type: Triple screw direct drive turbine
Owner: South Eastern & Chatham Railway, Isle of Man Steam Packet Co Ltd.
Service dates: 1905 - 1947
Tonnage: Gross 1671
A typical Denny turbine of the time, Onward was capable of 22 knots and entered service on 4 May 1905 on a Dover to Calais trip with HM King Edward VII on board. She was called up for service as a troop carrier in the Great War and whilst lying at Folkestone on 24 September 1918 she caught fire and was scuttled. She was raised by five steam locomotives on the quayside but did not sail again for SE&CR. She was towed to Limehouse in London, where she was bought by the IOMSPCo. She was refurbished and renamed Mona's Isle (IV) in 1920. She served the company well and again saw war service, returning to the IOMSP Co in May 1945. For a moving and personal account of her operational service at Dunkirk in May 1940, please click here. After the war, she continued for a further two seasons, making her final sailing on 29 August 1947. After a period being laid up in Douglas, she was towed to Milford Haven and scrapped in 1948.
Back to Contents Page
Back to South Coast Index
Back to Isle of Man and North West of England Steamers Index