|The Chess Oracle - BP Chess Club 2002-2003|
1st - HMC 5½ - BP 1½
22nd - Eastern Knights 7 - BP 1
5th - BP 4 - BBC 2 - John Lewis Cup - Round
12th - BP 3½ - Metropolitan Police 4½
19th - BP 3 - DHSS 5
10th - BP 3½ - Eastern Knights 2½ - John Lewis Cup - Quarter-Final
14th - BP 6½ - WED 1½
28th - BP 4½ - BTHQ 1½ - John Lewis Cup - Semi-Final
20th - BTHQ 2 - BP 5
11th - BBC 4 - BP 4
25th - BP 3½ - Railways 4½
1st - BP 2½ - Met Police 3½ - John Lewis Cup - Final
BP 4 - BBC 2
NALGO 2½ - DHSS 3½
HMC 5 - WED 1
BP 3½ - Eastern Knights
BTHQ 6 - Home Office 0
DHSS 1 - Railways 5
HMC 2½ - Metropolitan Police 3½
BP 4½ - BTHQ 1½
Railways 2½ - Metropolitan Police 3½
BP 2½ - Metropolitan Police 3½
There are 2 board decisions outstanding from last night's Cup match, so it would be a little premature to announce the result. As things stand it looks like this...
1. J Sharp 0 M Benjamin 1 2. R Holmes 1 J Wager 0 3. G Elkes ½ P Eldridge ½ 4. S Weston 0 I Underwood 1 5. J Morton 1 M Broad 0 6. P Martin 0 W C Allum 1
Whatever the outcome, I'd like to say well done to all the players for putting in a great effort against a very strong Met Police team - and well done to all those who have contributed in the general effort to succeed in the Cup this season. I will let you know of any developments.
As we suspected, when the adjudication results came back, it was aparent that we lost the Cup final 2½ - 3½ to the Met. Police. Despite this, we did well to reach the final - thank you to all those who contributed, and all team members for your efforts in the league. We will aim to improve on our performane next season. Britannic House will remain our venue until further notice. I hope you all have a good summer.
Well we gave the Railways Team a good run for their money and lost the match by 4½ to 3½, and it could so nearly have been a win for us. Our top boards put in a scintillating performance but the lower end, myself included, performed rather less well.
Peter Martin wondered whether he should have settled for a draw; but after the game it seemed his opponent had missed a good opportunity for a forced win.
In my own match I played against a very old competitor who looked as if he would have difficulty making his way up a flight of stairs. On the chessboard however he did know his way around and he converted his early pressure into a vicelike grip later in the game.
1. J Sharp 1 R Crooks 0 2. R Sparkes ½ N Holroyd ½ 3. S Weston ½ I Underwood ½ 4. G Elkes 1 P Eldridge 0 5. T Dillon 0 M Broad 1 6. P Martin ½ W C Allum ½ 7. S Whitworth 0 J G Andrews 1 8. R Eager 0 L H Heard 1
This was a satisfying result, as we were missing a few key players. The BBC fielded a strong team, especially at the top, and had a home advantage, in that we weren't used to the stuffy cramped conditions (!) We were, however, grateful for the very short walk to the adjacent bar.
I wasn't able to watch many of the matches, but was motivated by Clive's aggressive approach, which paid off, and enjoyed several replays of Peter's fabulous win, involving a Queen sacrifice, leading to a sudden mate.
This was our penultimate league match and the result puts us on a respectible 2½ points so far. The main achievement of the season though is, of course, reaching the final of the Cup. From Friday I'll be away for 2 weeks, so will miss the match vs. Railways, but be back to support the Cup clash.
1. R Sparkes 0 I Upton 1 2. G Elkes 0 R Dickens 1 3. J Morton ½ W Phillips ½ 4. T Dillon ½ M Harrison ½ 5. P Martin 1 D Mendes 0 6. R Eagar 0 G Pais 1 7. C Pengelly 1 G Snow 0 8. J Pidcock 1 J Mara 0
I'm pleased to report another victory over BTHQ, this time in the league. Score is currently 4½ - 1½, with one match outstanding where John Sharp has at least a draw.
Another plus point .... Ryan came into the team at short notice and came up with a solid draw on his first appearance for the team. I hope that this will be the first of many!
I didn't see too many games. Robin's opponent unfortunately didn't turn-up. Peter Martin broke his sequence of many draws with a win. Steve and I secured hard fought draws to get us to 3½ points. Clive took us to victory with a victory on board 5. John Sharp's game is material level, with a better position but lots of pieces on the board. The odds probably suggest a draw unless John can find a clear winning line.
Robin will be going to hospital in a couple of weeks time for a hip operation, so please remember him in your thoughts.
1. V Harper ½ J Sharp ½ 2. Day ½ S Weston ½ 3. Vaishampayan ½ J Morton ½ 4. Karmarkar 0 P Martin 1 5. Robbins 0 C Pengelly 1 6. Default 0 R England 1 7. Mahajan ½ R Eagar ½ 8. Default 0 Default 0
We are in the final!! A solid 4½ - 1½ victory over BT with a symmetry on the boards - draws at the top and wins for the bottom half.
Around 7.15pm, we went 1-0 up with my default win - sad in some ways, but a point is a point. Simon followed up with a win when his opponent left a rook exposed in a tight position. 2-0. Russell took a draw against Harper in what looked a very even position. Steve's opponent offered a draw, which Steve accepted, in a complex position. Whether it would have been a win or a loss - who knows - but a draw would have been the least likely result if it had been played out! 3-1. Around 9pm, Richard took a draw by repetition in an interesting position to secure our match win. Graham's opponent played a Latvian, and the whole game seemed tense throughout - never more than a pawn in it throughout, but Graham slowly slowly turned a miniscule advantage into a crushing final position.
Well done to all concerned ... and now for the final!
1. R Holmes ½ D Smith ½ 2. R Sparkes ½ V Harper ½ 3. S Weston ½ K Day ½ 4. G Elkes 1 D Ramsey 0 5. J Morton 1 Default 0 6. S Whitworth 1 P Robbins 0
Well, it wasn't much of a match last night - we won before we began. The first time in a long time we didn't lose a single game. An unfortunate evening for WED - they just couldn't get a team together. Still, we now have a league win - the first this season, and we'll no longer be at the bottom of the pile.
1. W G Elkes ½ B Smith ½ 2. B H Norton 1 Default - J Hayes 0 3. W J Morton ½ P Frost ½ 4. B P Martin ½ D Simpkins ½ 5. W R England 1 Default - E Warner 0 6. B J Pidcock 1 Default 0 7. W J Sharp 1 Default 0 8. B S Whitworth 1 Default 0
A win against the Eastern Knights at last!
A solid team performance has put us through to the semi-finals of the John Lewis Partnership Cup for the first time in many years. There were a few exciting matches to watch, including Richard's, where a crippling attack suddenly emerged from the very rear of the board.
Lets hope for a similar result in the next round - the match is on 28 January and hopefully we can keep the same team. The next league match is two weeks earlier - Tuesday 14 January vs. West End District, at home. This is one league match we need / should expect to win, so decent availability from players will be appreciated. I will be in touch the week beforehand.
In the meantime I would like to wish you all a Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year!
1. J Sharp ½ G Harvey ½ 2. R Holmes 1 G McNally 0 3. R Sparkes 0 D Jarmain 1 4. G Elkes 0 S Barr 1 5. S Weston 1 A Mant 0 6. J Morton 1 A Duran 0
Another loss! We've been having a tough time of it in the league this season - DHSS was another team we beat last year. They did field a stronger side this time though and a couple of our players did very well to draw - well done to Clive and Simon, whose opponents grades were 53 & 25 higher, respectively. This result means we will struggle to come top of the league! So, as previously stated, we'll go all out for the Cup.
1. R Sparkes 1 K Reeve 0 2. G Elkes 0 B O'Gorman 1 3. J Morton 0 I Salisbury 1 4. P Martin ½ B Skinner ½ 5. S Whitworth ½ R Jason ½ 6. R England 0 M Whitworth 1 7. C Pengelly ½ M Smith ½ 8. J Pidcock ½ P Summerville ½
This was a very tight match for the first 5 boards! However, despite the Met. Police defaulting board 6, we failed to pull our weight in the bottom two boards and failed to secure any points from this match. In fact, the score line was a complete reverse of last year's, when we managed a narrow victory.
We have now lost our first three league matches...some catching up is in order. We face DHSS next, who we also beat 4½ - 3½ last season. A similar result would be very welcome. The captain is aware that he needs to start contributing to the score line!
1. R Sparkes ½ M Benjamin ½ 2. G Elkes ½ A Waters ½ 3. S Weston ½ A Smith ½ 4. J Morton ½ P Tickner ½ 5. P Martin ½ C Derbyshire ½ 6. S Whitworth 1 Default 0 7. R England 0 C Walton 1 8. J Pidcock 0 J Dawe 1
We put out a very strong team last night in order to make an impact this year in the Cup event. As the score shows, this has paid off, so far. We beat the BBC pretty soundly and now face the Eastern Knights, at home, on 10 December. Hopefully we will be able to put forward at least as strong a team for that match. If we get past them, we would certainly expect to win the Cup.
1. J Sharp ½ I Upton ½ 2. R Holmes 1 R Dickens 0 3. R Sparkes ½ W Phillips ½ 4. S Weston 1 M Harrison 0 5. J Morton 0 G Pais 1 6. H Norton 1 S Chirgwin 0
1. B B Hirsch ½ J Sharp ½ 2. W G Harvey 1 G Elkes 0 3. B G McNally 1 J Morton 0 4. W D Jarmain 1 P Martin 0 5. B S Barr ½ R England ½ 6. W 1 Default 0 7. B 1 Default 0 8. W 1 Default 0
The first match of the season took place last night. We played HMC, who arrived with a strong team, well able to capitalise on their head start of one board, due to us defaulting. We were soundly beaten, with only one win - from Graham, and one draw - from Peter.
Bad luck team! Our next match will be a toughy too - at least we will get two of the hardest matches out of the way quickly.
22 Oct Eastern Knights vs BP (away)
Russell, Steve, & Jason can't play....Graham will captain this one.
1. W B Spink 1 J Sharp 0 2. B P Jaszkiwskyj 0 G Elkes 1 3. W S Berkley ½ P Martin ½ 4. B M Baker 1 S Whitworth 0 5. W M Wickham 1 R England 0 6. B F Moreland 1 C Pengelly 0 7. W G Monk 1 J Pidcock 0 8. B D G Wayte 1 Default 0
|HMC||Eastern Knights||BBC (Cup)||Met Police||DHSS||Eastern Knights (Cup)||WED||BTHQ (Cup)||BTHQ||BBC||Railways||Met Police (Cup)|
|John Sharp (186)||0||½||½||½||1D||½||1||0|
|Russell Sparkes (159)||½||½||1||0||½||0||½|
|Steve Weston (146)||1||½||1||½||½||½||0|
|Graham Elkes (144)||1||0||½||0||0||½||1||0||1||½|
|John Morton (122)||0||0||½||0||1||½||1D||½||½||1|
|Peter Martin (112)||½||0||½||½||½||1||1||½||0|
|1 Default||3 Defaults||1 Double Default|
Webmaster - John Sharp
Copyright ©1999-2005 John Sharp