[Extracts from the St Helier list compiled for the National Trust for Jersey by C E B Brett, published by the Ulster Architectural Heritage Society in 1977.]
1864; by Thomas Gallichan; builder, de la Mare. Built at a time when "total membership of the five Lodges in the island did not exceed 120", but the building "amply sufficed for the needs of 1000 members." Brother Gallichan, a member of Loge la Césarée, supplied "little touches of Ma~onic symbolism in various parts of the building." Extraordinarily heavy and forbidding Corinthian stucco monster. "It is erected in style purely Corinthian, and is constructed of brick and cement with granite facings. It exhibits a finely proportioned building, classical in appearance, and beautiful as regards detailing" according to Hill. The side view to Oxford Road is quite overwhelming, but this is really a sham, for the building is L-shaped. The round-headed windows in the side are closed by louvres, those in the front are all hermetically sealed with shutters (one feels the Masonic secrets are safe here if anywhere). The upper two-thirds of the tetrastyle Corinthian portico constitute a cage of chicken wire to keep out (or in?) birds. The cast-iron posts and rails are of quite astonishing heaviness, thickness and quantity.
Refs: Hill p.99; Knocker, Freemasonry in Jersey, passim; Freemasons' Magazine Dec 1862; Chronique 28 May 1864.
Go to Publications
or to Index
Beside the old church hall, an arcaded house (peculiar enough in itself) absolutely covered all over - the front wall too - in semi-biblical graffiti, including some surprising spellings and abbreviations. Altogether, so bizarre as to be enjoyable; but one is quite enough.
Ref: (cf Raymond Queneau, Les Fleurs Bleues)
Go to Publications or to Index