All the original Copeland parish churches had there own churchyard attached in the traditional manner. This did not apply to the modern churches which tended to be built within existing communities so that there was rarely any space available for a traditional churchyard. This problem was overcome by the development of the civil or public cemetery starting with the Burial Act of 1853.
1. The burial ground for the new church of St.Bridget at Calderbridge is in fact the existing churchyard of the old St.Bridgets - Beckermet church.
2. The burial ground for the new church of St.Cuthberts at Seascale is the existing churchyard belonging to St.Marys, Gosforth which had previously been the parish church for the village of Seascale.
3. The residents of Egremont, Bigrigg and Moor Row would be buried at Egremont cemetery after 1864.
4. Both of the new churches of Millom - St.Georges in 1877 and Haverigg - St.Lukes in 1891 were built with a church yard attached; so there is no public cemetery for Millom.
5. The churchyard at Wasdalehead church, St.Olaf post 1977, did not open until 1901, prior to this date burials were at Eskdale with a few going to Netherwasdale.
6. Netherwasdale Churchyard was closed in 1910 which was replaced by a public cemetery situated close by.