Arthur Amery Nichols 21st October
1887 - 14th September 1949
- BC (Q3) 1887 Kingston ref 2a 307
- MC (Q2) 1910 Wigan ref 8c 197
- MC (Q3) 1920 Whitby ref 9d 1265
- MC (Q4) 1924 Islington ref 1b 602
- DC (Q3) 1949 Wood Green ref 5f 341
- Born in London
- Professional Violinist
- In 1910 he married Blanche Russell
- She died Q1 1918 in Southwark ref 1d 40
- In 1920 he married Dora King
- In 1924 he married Rosalind Minna Burrows
- They had seven children:
- Madaline (Bonnie) Nichols 1921 - 1979
- Beatrice Nichols 1923 -
- Audrey Muriel Nichols 1925 -
- Ronald ((Philip) Nichols 1927 -
- Joan Nichols 1929 -
- John Nichols 1932 -
- Richard Ernest Nichols 1932 - 1997
- John and Richard are twins
- Brief History
- Royal Philharmonic Society 1925 Dr Malcolm Sargent
- London Philharmonic Orchestra 1931/2 (1st Violin)
- Sheffield Music Festival 1933
- London Philharmonic Orchestra 1927/40 Sir Thomas Beecham
- Left during bombing while on tour in Northern England.
- Appalled by the air raids and worried about the safety of
his family in London also being bombed. Had to attend a tribunal.
- Knew Robert Morley through music to a stage play.
They used to synchronise watches.
- Millocker's Du Barry - Leader and Solo Violin.
- Arc de Triumphe - Leader and Solo Violin
- (HM Theatre Orchestra)
- 1941/2 Fire Watcher in St Paul's area - some office blocks.
- 1942/3 Dancing Years - Teacher.
- Played in 'Song of Norway' - Lead Violin.
- Promised 'King's Rhapsody' but died.
- All photographs are of Arthur.
- Dates unknown except centre right: Arthur holding Bonnie
Below: Aged 12