THE HOWARD FAMILY OF CASTLE HOWARD I
Descendants of Charles Howard, 1st Earl of Carlisle
(This page or it's author has no connection with Castle Howard presently and this page is unofficial)
1. CHARLES HOWARD 1st EARL OF CARLISLE was born Abt. 1629, or earlier, and died February 24, 1684/85. He married ANNE HOWARD, daughter of EDWARD HOWARD, LORD HOWARD OF ESCRICK by Mary daughter of John Boteler, Baron Boteler of Brantefield. Anne Countess of Carlisle died September 1703 and was buried in York Minster. For information about the ancestors of Charles Howard and Ann Howard see the Howard Page. He was the son of Sir William Howard of Naworth, Cumberland and Mary daughter of William EURE or EVERS, Baron EURE.
Children of CHARLES HOWARD, 1st EARL OF CARLISLE and ANNE HOWARD are:
i. MARY HOWARD, d. October 27, 1708; m.SIR JOHN FENWICK, ; d. January 27, 1696/97.
ii. ANN HOWARD, m. RICHARD GRAHAM VISCOUNT PRESTON, August 2, 1670; d. November 22, 1695.
iii. CATHERINE HOWARD, Bur: October 11, 1684, Westminster Abbey.
iv. EDWARD HOWARD, 2nd EARL OF CARLISLE, b. Abt. 1646.
v. FREDERICK CHRISTIAN HOWARD, b. November 5, 1664, Denmark; d. Siege of Lutzenberg Bur: October 11, 1684, Westminster Abbey
2. EDWARD HOWARD, 2nd EARL OF CARLISLE was born Abt. 1646. He married ELIZABETH UVEDALE daughter of SIR WILLIAM UVEDALE and his wife Lady Victoria Cary, daughter of Sir Henry Cary, 1st Viscount Falkland and his wife Elizabeth Tanfield, Abt. April 1668. She died December 30, 1696. She was widow of William Berkeley and was baptised 8 June 1646 at Wickham, Hants. He died 23 April 1692 at Wickham.
Children of EDWARD HOWARD, 2nd EARL OF CARLISLE and ELIZABETH UVEDALE are:
i. ANNE HOWARD 1668-1685
ii. CHARLES HOWARD 3rd EARL OF CARLISLE, b. Abt. 1669; d. May 1, 1738.
iii. MARY HOWARD.
IV. EDMUND HOWARD Bn1673
V. HARRIOT HOWARD Bn 1674
VI. EDWARD HOWARD 1676-1695
VII. WILLIAM HOWARD 1678-1701
VIII. CATHERINE HOWARD 1680-1681
IX. FREDERICK HOWARD Bn 1684
3. CHARLES HOWARD, 3rd EARL OF CARLISLE was born Abt. 1669, and died May 1, 1738. He married LADY ANNE CAPELL July 25, 1683, daughter of ARTHUR CAPPELL, EARL OF ESSEX and LADY ELIZABETH PERCY, daughter of Algernon Percy, Earl of Northumberland. She died October 14, 1752.
Children of CHARLES HOWARD, 3rd CARLISLE and Lady ANNE CAPELL are:
i. HENRY HOWARD, 4th EARL OF CARLISLE, b. Abt. 1694; d. September 3, 1758.
ii. MARY HOWARD 1695-1786
iii. ANNE HOWARD 1697-1764 Married firstly in 1718 Richard Ingram Viscount Irwin 1688-1721 and secondly William James Douglas who died in 1748.
iv. ELIZABETH HOWARD 1701-1739 Married firstly in 1719 Nicholas Lord Lechmere 1676-1727 and secondly in 1728 Sir Thomas Robinson c.1703-1777.
v. HARRIET HOWARD born. 1703
vi. CHARLES HOWARD, Bn. 1705 d. August 26, 1765.
4. HENRY HOWARD, 4th EARL OF CARLISLE was born Abt. 1694, and died September 3, 1758. He married (1) LADY FRANCES SPENCER, November 27, 1717, daughter of CHARLES EARL OF SUNDERLAND and LADY ARABELLA CAVENDISH, daughter of Henry Cavendish Duke of Newcastle. She died July 27, 1742. He married (2) HON. ISABELLA BYRON June 8, 1743 at St George Hanover Square, London, daughter of WILLIAM BYRON, 4th BARON BYRON and Hon. Frances Berkeley of Stratton, daughter of William Berkeley, 4th Baron Berkeley of Stratton. She died January 22, 1795.
Children of HENRY EARL OF CARLISLE and FRANCES SPENCER are:
i. CHARLES HOWARD, Viscount Morpeth, bapt. 22 May 1719, MP for County York from May 1741, and buried 9 Aug 1741 at Castle Howard.
ii. ARABELLA HOWARD, Bn 1721 d. Abt. 1746; m. 1741 Sir JONATHON COPE.
iii. DIANA HOWARD, Bn 1724, d 1770; m. 1749 THOMAS DUNCOMBE.OF DUNCOMBE PARK.
iv. ROBERT HOWARD, Viscount Morpeth, born. 9 Feb 1725/6 and died 20 October 1743.
v. HENRY HOWARD 1727-1743
VI, CAROLINE HOWARD BN 1729
Child of HENRY HOWARD, EARL OF CARLISLE and the Hon. ISABELLA BYRON is:
v. ANNE HOWARD bn 1744
vi. FRANCES HOWARD bn 1745, died 1808, who married John Radcliffe MP Died 1783.
vii. ELIZABETH HOWARD Bn. 1746 dd 1813 Married firstly 1769 Peter Delme of Titchfield Place, Hants, MP, married secondly 1794 Captain Charles Garnier RN.
viii. FREDERICK HOWARD, 5th EARL OF CARLISLE, b. May 28, 1748; d. September 4, 1825.
ix. MARGARETTA HOWARD probably died young.
x. JULIANA HOWARD bn 1750 and died 1849
5. FREDERICK HOWARD, 5th EARL OF CARLISLE was born May 28, 1748, and died September 4, 1825. He married MARGARET CAROLINE LEVESON-GOWER March 22, 1770 at Whitehall, St Martin in the Fields, daughter of GRANVILLE LEVESON-GOWER 1ST MARQUESS OF STAFFORD and Lady LOUISA EGERTON, daughter of Scrope Egerton, Duke of Bridgwater. She died January 27, 1824. The original seat of the Gower Family was at Stittenham which is not far from Castle Howard.
Children of FREDERICK HOWARD, 5th EARL CARLISLE and MARGARET LEVESON-GOWER are:
i. ISABELLA CAROLINE HOWARD 1771-1848 Married 1789 John Campbell 1st Lord Cawdor 1755-1821.
ii. GEORGE HOWARD, 6th EARL OF CARLISLE, b. September 17, 1773; d. October 7, 1848; m. GEORGIANA DOROTHY CAVENDISH, March 21, 1801; d. August 8, 1858.
iii. CHARLOTTE HOWARD 1774-1774
IV. SUSAN HOWARD 1776-1783
V. LOUISA HOWARD 1778-1781
Vi. ELIZABETH HOWARD, d. November 29, 1825; m. JOHN HENRY MANNERS, Duke of Rutland, April 22, 1799; b. January 4, 1778; d. January 20, 1857.
Vii. WILLIAM HOWARD, b. December 25, 1781; d. January 25, 1843.
VIII. GERTRUDE HOWARD 1783-1870, married in 1806, William Sloane Stanley who died in 1860.
ix. FREDERICK HOWARD, b. December 6, 1785; d. Waterloo 1815; m. FRANCES SUSAN LAMBTON, August 6, 1811; d. November 23, 1840. In 1819 she remarried General Henry Cavendish 1789-1873.
x. HENRY EDWARD JOHN HOWARD, b. December 14, 1795; d. October 8, 1868; m. HENRIETTA ELIZABETH WRIGHT, July 13, 1824.
6. GEORGE HOWARD, 6th EARL OF CARLISLE was born September 17, 1773, and died October 7, 1848. He married LADY GEORGIANA DOROTHY CAVENDISH March 21, 1801, daughter of WILLIAM DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE and LADY GEORGIANA SPENCER, daughter of John Spencer, Earl Spencer.
An interesting recent biography has been published about Georgiana Duchess of Devonshire. Countess Georgiana's cousin was Lady Caroline Lamb, the wife of Lord Melbourne and Mistress of George Lord Byron , the Poet and a relative of the Howards and a visitor to Castle Howard.. The Countess died August 8, 1858. Countess Georgiana gave birth to six boys and six girls, and the room is celebrated at Castle Howard. It is through the Countess that the present Duke of Devonshire can claim a double descent from the Duchess Georgiana.
Children of GEORGE HOWARD, 6th EARL OF CARLISLE and GEORGIANA CAVENDISH are:
i. GEORGE WILLIAM FREDERICK HOWARD, 7th EARL OF CARLISLE, b. April 18, 1802; d. December 5, 1864.
ii. CAROLINE GEORGIANA HOWARD, bn 1803, d. November 27, 1881. Who married 14 May 1823 Rt. Hon William Saunders Sebright Lascelles, 1798-1851, son of the 2nd Earl of Harewood and he died in 1851. Curiously the Lascelles were originally from Henderskelfe, the precursor to Castle Howard.
Their daughter Emma Elizabeth Lascelles (died 1920) married Lord Edward Cavendish MP 1838-1891 and had issue. Their eldest son Victor Christian Cavendish succeeded as 9th Duke of Devonshire and inherited Chatsworth House, continuing the connections between the three great houses of Chatsworth, Harewood and Castle Howard. The present Earl Harewood is George Lascelles who still lives at Harewood.
iii. GEORGIANA HOWARD, bn 1804, d. March 17, 1860; m. GEORGE JAMES WELBORE, BARON DOVER, March 7, 1822; b. January 17, 1797; d. July 10, 1833.
iv. FREDERICK GEORGE HOWARD, b. June 8, 1805; d. November 18, 1834.
v. HARRIET ELIZABETH GEORGINA HOWARD, bn. 1806, d. October 27, 1868. She married GEORGE GRANVILLE LEVESON-GOWER, 2nd DUKE OF SUTHERLAND son of George Granville Leveson-Gower Duke of Sutherland , on 28th May 1823, he was born 8th August 1786 and died 22 February 1861.
Their eldest child was Lady Elizabeth Georgina Leveson-Gower who died on 25th May 1878 and married George Douglas Campbell Duke of Argyll 1823-1900 on the 31st July 1844, and was mother of John Campbell, Duke of Argyll 1845-1914 who was to marry with Princess Louise 1848-1939, daughter of Queen Victoria.
vi. WILLIAM GEORGE HOWARD, 8th EARL OF CARLISLE, b. February 23, 1808; d. March 29, 1889.
vii. EDWARD GRANVILLE GEORGE HOWARD, LORD LANERTON, b. December 23, 1809; d. October 8, 1880; m. DIANA PONSONBY, DAUGHTER OF THE HON. GEORGE PONSONBY, August 16, 1842; d. November 2, 1893.
viii. BLANCHE GEORGIANA HOWARD, LADY, b. January 11, 1812; d. April 27, 1840. She married her second cousin WILLIAM CAVENDISH, 7th DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE, 1808-1891 and is ancestress of the present Duke of Devonshire. Her younger son Lord Edward married Emma Elizabeth Lascelles, above.
ix. CHARLES WENTWORTH GEORGE HOWARD, b. March 27, 1814; d. April 11, 1879. The Honourable Charles W.G. Howard married and had issue, see below:
x. ELIZABETH DOROTHY ANNE HOWARD, bn 1816, d. May 11, 1891; m. Rev FRANCIS RICHARD GREY, son of Viscount Howick, August 12, 1840; d. March 22, 1890.
xi. HENRY GEORGE HOWARD, b. May 22, 1818; d. August 10, 1879; m. MARY WELLESLEY McTAVISH, May 29, 1845; d. February 21, 1879.
xii. MARY MATILDA GEORGIANA HOWARD, d. September 17, 1892; m. 13 July 1852, HENRY LABOUCHERE, BARON TAUNTON (died 1869).
7. HON. CHARLES WENTWORTH GEORGE HOWARD was born March 27, 1814, and died April 11, 1879. He married the HON. MARY PARKE daughter of SIR JAMES PARKE, BARON WENSLEYDALE, August 8, 1842. She was born in 1822 and died August 26, 1843.
Child of CHARLES HOWARD and MARY PARKE is:
i. GEORGE JAMES HOWARD, 9th EARL OF CARLISLE, b. August 12, 1843; d. April 16, 1911.
8. GEORGE JAMES HOWARD, 9th EARL OF CARLISLE was born August 12, 1843, and died April 16, 1911. He married ROSALIND FRANCES STANLEY October 4, 1864, daughter of JOHN STANLEY 5th BARON STANLEY OF ALDERLY and his wife Henrietta Maria Dillon-Lee, daughter of Henry Augustus Dillon-Lee, 13th Viscount Dillon of Costello Gallen. She died August 12, 1921. For more of her ancestry see the Stanley page, she was descended from Charles II and James II, Kings of England and Scotland.
Children of GEORGE HOWARD, 9th EARL OF CARLISLE and ROSALIND STANLEY are:
i. MARY HENRIETTA HOWARD, d. September 2, 1956; m. GEORGE GILBERT AIME MURRAY, Professor, November 30, 1889; d. May 20, 1957. Mary was to have succeeded to Castle Howard, but turned it down and it passed to her brother Geoffrey Howard.
ii. CECILIA MAUDE HOWARD, d. May 6, 1947; m. CHARLES HENRY ROBERTS, April 7, 1891; d. June 25, 1959.
iii. DOROTHY GEORGIANA HOWARD, d. September 14, 1968; m. FRANCIS ROBERT EDEN, BARON HENLEY, October 14, 1913; b. Abt. 1877; d. April 21, 1962.
iv. ELIZABETH DACRE HOWARD.
v. AUREA FREDESWIDE HOWARD, m. (1) DENYSS CHAMBERLAINE WACE, May 24, 1923; d. Abt. 1944; m. (2) THOMAS McLEOD MAJOR, Abt. August 1928; d. September 24, 1963.
vi. CHARLES JAMES STANLEY HOWARD, 10th EARL OF CARLISLE, b. March 8, 1867; d. January 20, 1912. Married to Rhoda Ankaret L'Estrange and had issue. He inherited Naworth Castle the main seat of the Howard of Carlisle family. His great grandson is George William Beaumont Howard, 13th Earl of Carlisle.
vii. HUBERT GEORGE LYULPH HOWARD, b. April 3, 1871; d. Abt. September 1898, Battle of Omdurman.
viii. CHRISTOPHER EDWARD HOWARD, b. June 2, 1873; d. September 1, 1896.
ix. OLIVER HOWARD, b. March 14, 1875; d. September 20, 1908.
x. GEOFFREY WILLIAM ALGERNON HOWARD, b. February 12, 1877; d. June 20, 1935. See below, the eventual owner of Castle Howard.
xi. MICHAEL FRANCIS STAFFORD HOWARD, b. January 23, 1880; d. October 9, 1917.
9. GEOFFREY WILLIAM ALGERNON HOWARD was born February 12, 1877, and died June 20, 1935. He married ETHEL CHRISTIAN METHUEN, daughter of Paul Sanford Methuen, 3rd Baron Methuen and Mary E Sanford daughter of William A Sanford, May 15, 1915. She died April 26, 1932. Every one of his male line descendants has 'Geoffrey' in his given names.
By a family agreement they took over Castle Howard, so the history of the House splits from the senior branch of the Carlisle Howards. The male line Howards are still in remainder to the Earldom of Carlisle, and even the Dukedom of Norfolk.
Children of GEOFFREY HOWARD and ETHEL METHUEN are:
i. ROSEMARY CHRISTIAN HOWARD, Dame, bn. September 5, 1916. Died 1999. D.B.E. 1986.
ii. MARK PAUL GEOFFREY HOWARD, b. June 10, 1918; d. July 2, 1944, in Normandy during the Second World War.
iii. GEORGE ANTHONY GEOFFREY HOWARD, OF CASTLE HOWARD, b. May 22, 1920; m. CECILIA BLANCHE GENEVIEVE FITZROY, May 11, 1949; b. May 13, 1922. and had issue.
iv. CHRISTOPHER JOHN GEOFFREY HOWARD, b. May 31, 1922; d. October 7, 1944. Killed flying with the 'Dambusters' during the Second World War.
v. KATHERINE CECILIA GABRIEL HOWARD, b. December 12, 1930; died in 1979, m. STEPHEN NICHOLAS SPENS, October 3, 1953.
Castle Howard September 1999
10. GEORGE ANTHONY GEOFFREY HOWARD, OF CASTLE HOWARD, BARON HOWARD OF HINDERSKELFE (life peerage), was born May 22, 1920. He died in 1984. He married LADY CECILIA BLANCHE GENEVIEVE FITZROY May 11, 1949, daughter of ALFRED FITZROY, 8th DUKE OF GRAFTON and SUSANNA STEWART. She was born May 13, 1922 and died in 1974. The Duke of Grafton descends in the male line from an illegitimate son of King Charles II of England and Scotland in the 17th Century.
Children and Grandchildren of GEORGE HOWARD, BARON HOWARD OF HINDERSKELFE and LADY CECILIA FITZROY are:
i. HENRY FRANCIS GEOFFREY HOWARD, b. March 17, 1950. He died, unmarried, on the 17th April 2008.
ii. NICHOLAS PAUL GEOFFREY HOWARD, b. April 25, 1952.
Married firstly, AMANDA NIMMO, daughter of the late DEREK NIMMO the actor and comedian and had issue:
a. GEORGE FULCO GEOFFREY HOWARD, born 1985.
Married secondly, VICTORIA BARNSLEY and has issue:
b. BLANCHE MARY HOWARD, born 1994.
iii. SIMON BARTHOLOMEW GEOFFREY HOWARD, b. January 26, 1956.
Sometime Lord Lieutenant of the North Riding. Lives at Castle Howard.
Married, Firstly, ANNETTE MARIE SMALLWOOD, previously the second wife of Spencer D. D. COMPTON, Earl Compton, son and heir of the 6th Marquess of Northampton, and daughter of C. A. R. Smallwood. They are divorced.
Married, Secondly, by civil ceremony at Castle Howard to REBECCA SIEFF, 9th June 2001.
Rebecca, born 27th May 1967, is the daughter of Jonathan Sieff (bn1933) and his second and former wife, Angela Pringle daughter of Brigadier Douglas Pringle of Canterbury. Jonathan Sieff is the son of the Hon. Michael David Sieff and his wife Daphne Madge Kerin Michael (died 1988) daughter of Cyril Aaron Michael. The Hon Michael David Sieff (1911-) is the son of Israel Moses Sieff, (life) Baron Sieff, 1889-1972, Chairman and Joint Managing Director of Marks and Spencer and his wife Rebecca Doro Marks (died 1966) a daughter of Michael Marks of Manchester (1863-1907) and sister of the First Baron Marks.
They have issue: (Twins - Born at York District Hospital)
1. OCTAVIA CECILIA GISELLE HOWARD, b. 4th February 2002
2. MERLIN JASPER GEOFFREY HOWARD, b 4th February 2002
iv. ANTHONY MICHAEL GEOFFREY HOWARD, b. May 18, 1958.
Married LINDA LOUISE MCGRADY and has had issue:
a. ARABELLA BLANCHE GENEVIEVE HOWARD, born 1986.
b.GRANIA ALEXANDRA LOUISE HOWARD, born 1988.
Sources for the whole site include, Burkes Peerage, edns 1963, 1970, 106th edn., The Complete Peerage, Burkes Dormant and Extinct Peerages.
I would like to thank Dr Ruth Larsen, previously of the History Department of the University of York, for her information and comments on this page which has greatly added to the quality of the information.
Please contact me with any corrections or information.
No commissioned family history research is undertaken by me. Sorry I don't have time or resources to answer your family history questions. There are many Howards of whom only a small proportion are connected to this family.