Situated off the A64 between Scarborough and Malton, close to the villages of Rillington and Wintringham.
The village is agricultural and was once bigger than the small number of houses and farms which exist now. Enclosures were made in the 18th Century and there were only 17 families in the village in 1843. Very agricultural, the village is now without a public house, school or Post Office. The last Post Office was run by Mrs Mary Grayson and her husband the postman Mr George Grayson. The school building still survives. The Royal Oak Inn has long gone.
The Church is that of All Saints. It has Norman architecture in part but is mainly a result of restoration in 1879-1880. There is a large Rectory Building, seemingly out of scale with the rest of the buildings, but built in 1860 as a typical Victorian semi-gentry home for the Rectors of the time.
Many acres were bought by Sir George Chumley of Wintringham in the last Century which added to the landholdings in nearby Wintringham and the estate is still owned by the family today.
|Parish Registers and Parish Register Transcripts (Bishops Transcripts)||The Borthwick Institute, Peasholme Green, York, the Parish Registers have been printed for the period up to 1837.|
|Land Tax Records||East Yorkshire Record Office, Beverley.|
|Census records||(19th Century) Scarborough Library, Beverley Library, Leeds Reference Library and at Northallerton Library. Microfiche copies can be obtained from the Public Record Office at Kew.|
|Estate Records||East Yorkshire Record Office at Beverley. The indexes will take you to the DDTB Estate Records which are outstanding in the amount of information they contain.|
|Genuki||United Kingdom and Ireland family history, with further information about the village.|