OF THE EAST RIDING
1. Ralph Wilberfoss of Brigham, in East Yorkshire c1591-1655 married Mary Brigham d of Ralph Brigham of Brigham (abt.)1583-1656,and his wife Mary Cresswell* of Nunkeeling in Yorkshire, the son of Francis Brigham, the son of Ralph Brigham and Elizabeth Grimston, daughter and co-heiress of William Grimston of Cottingham and Barbara Constable of North Cliffe, and had issue:
2.William Wilberfoss of Brigham Mayor of Beverley 1625-1703 (baptised at Bilton in Swine parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire) married Mary and had issue:
William Wilberfoss 1655-1679
Samuel Wilberfoss 1663- (3.)
Thomas Wilberfoss, 1668-1742, Mayor of Beverley, married to Anne Lonsdale, d1720.
Christopher Wilberfoss b1671
3. Samuel Wilberfoss (born 1663) married in 1685 Anne Davye and had issue:
4. William Wilberforce, Mayor of Hull 1690-1776, married to Sarah Thornton a daughter of John Thornton of Hull, and had issue:
a. William Wilberforce, married to Hannah Thornton, his Will proved March 1778 of Wimbledon in Surrey in York.
b. Robert Wilberforce, Merchant Hull, 1728/9-1768 (5.)
c. Anne Wilberforce, d 1783 married to John Greathed
d. Judith Wilberforce married to John Bird, mother of Hannah Bird, wife of Rev Robert Sumner, and mother in turn of John Bird Sumner 1780-1862, Archbishop of Canterbury 1848-1862 and Charles Sumner 1790-1874, Bishop of Winchester 1827-1869
5. Robert Wilberforce 1728/9-1768, Merchant of Hull, who's Will was proved in York in March 1768, Vol 112 folio 68, married Elizabeth Bird 1730-1798 (Will proved in August in 1798, Vol 142 f607) a daughter of Thomas Bird and had issue:
a. William Wilberforce MP 1759-1833 (6.)
b. Sarah Wilberforce 1758-1816, wife of firstly Dr Clark and secondly James Stephen 1758-1832, An Abolitionist and member of the 'Clapham Sect'. By his first wife Anna Stent he was grandfather of Sir Leslie Stephen of the 'Dictionary of National Biography' and great-grandfather of the writer Virginia Woolf 1882-1941.
c. Anne Wilberforce.
6. William Wilberforce MP 1759-1833 Slavery Abolitionist (Will proved at York, Vol 190 f32 in July 1834) married to Barbara Spooner 1777-1847 in 1797, and had issue: (See Burkes Landed Gentry)
Compiled by Tim Owston,
Source: Burkes Landed Gentry
Heraldic Visitation 1612
The Bishops Transcripts/Parish Register Transcripts and Wills in the Borthwick Institute for Archives
The Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, 2004.
*Mary Cresswell of NunKeeling was the daughter of Ralph Cresswell and Elizabeth Ingleby. Elizabeth Ingleby was the daughter of John Ingleby of Hutton Rudby and his wife Ann Clapham (ironic as Wilberforce was part of the 'Clapham Sect'). The parents of John Ingleby were William Ingleby and his wife Cecily Talboys, who through the families of Gascoigne of Gawthorpe, Neville of Oversley and Ferrers had a descent from a Beaufort daughter of John of Gaunt Duke of Lancaster, a son of King Edward III. William Ingleby's mother, Ellinor Constable was a member of the family of Constable of Flamborough, and was at one stage married to Thomas Lord Berkeley 1472-1532/3 and their descendants include actress Audrey Hepburn.