Cliburn, Cleburn, Cleyburn, seems to derive the name from its situation.
Burn is a rivulet or brook. And there is in the soil here a course of clay, which discovers itself in the channel and banks of the rivulet called Leeth, which runs on the west side of the village, and falls into the Lyvennet below Cliburn mill.
The parish is bounded on the east, south and west, by the parish of Morland; and on the north, by the parishes of Lowther, Clifton and Brougham; and contains about 36 families, all of the established church.
Extract from: "History and Antiquities of Westmorland & Cumberland".
J.Nicholson and R.Burn. Date 1777.
"Transactions of the Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society - Volumes XXV and XXVIII - New Series".
"History and Antiquities of Westmorland & Cumberland" by J.Nicholson and R.Burn. Date 1777.
The Cleburnes, an "ancient and knightly family," originated in Westmorland County, England. The family name was derived from the manor of "Cliburn," which was held by the Cleburne family (with variant spellings of the name) for more than 400 years, from early in the thirteenth century to the middle of the seventeenth century.
Cliburn Hall stands today, near the small village of Cliburn, six miles southeast of the town of Penrith, in historic Westmorland County, high above the rivulet Leith. The grand old stone building with a three story "pele tower" was erected in the fourteenth century by Robert de Cliburn, knight of the shire for Westmorland. Two hundred years later, the original structure was altered and enlarged by Richard Cleburne. On the Tudor estate were a large deer park, beautiful pleasure grounds, and terraced walks.
Cliburn Hall has undergone changes, the battlements, have been removed, the outer fortifications have disappeared, and some of the extensions have been destroyed. The old three-story building and one of the two-story wings now constitute a modern farm house.3 But the spacious state room with a vaulted ceiling, a capacious fireplace at one end, and remnants of a minstrel loft at the other end, signify gracious living in days of yore. On a stone slab above the main entrance to the Hall, this couplet is inscribed:
Across the road from Cliburn Hall is the Parish Church of Cliburn, a Norman structure built in the twelfth century. On the north wall of the chancel in a small memorial window of "one round-headed light,',5 is inscribed the Cleburne coat of arms, with the heraldic motto "Forward Clibbor Ne Sceame." The cryptic Latin phrase means "Forward! The Cleburnes do not know otherwise," or "The Cleburnes do not know how to do anything else." Below the window a bronze tablet reads:
This memorial was placed in the 1870's by Dr. Christopher James Clebome, a first cousin of the General. Dr.Clebome, born in Edinburgh, Scotland, came to America and was a lieutenant commander in the medical corps of the Federal navy during the War between the States. He was a rear admiral when he retired in 1899.
The founder of the Cleburne family, Hervey de Cliburne (Hervey meant "strong in war") and his descendants held the manor of Cliburne by "knight service." Early in the fifteenth century, one of Hervey's descendants, John Cleburne, married Elizabeth Curwen, whose blood was "darkly, deeply, beautifully blue." Her ancestor, the "great" Gospatrick, was a descendant of the Saxon King Ethelred 11, and King Malcolm 11 of Scotland. Gospatrick's father was Maldred, the younger brother of the "Gracious Duncan," whom Macbeth murdered. John Cleburne fought in the bloody battles of Barnet, Tewksbury, and Bosworth; and died from wounds received in the skirmish of Kirtlemore. John Cleburne and his wife, Elizabeth Curwen, were direct ancestors of Patrick Ronayne Cleburne.
About the middle of the seventeenth century, following the English reconquest of Ireland, William Cleburne, the second son of Thomas the fourteenth Lord of the manor of Cliburne, went to the City of Kilkenny, Ireland. He later settled in County Tipperary on the banks of the River Shannon. Cleburne kinsmen had preceded him to the general area, but William founded the Anglo-lrish line - the ancestors of Patrick Ronayne - the Cleburnes of Ballycollaton in Tipperary. William acquired "the castles, towns and lands of Ballycollitan," and "the villadge and lands of Bunnadubber." At that time, the Irish "hated" the English settlers, but the Cleburnes were an exception; because they had obtained their lands by purchase, not by confiscation. William was distinguished for kindness and unostentatious generosity to the distressed Gaels. ". . . it was said that 'a Cleburne might ride in safety from one end of the county to the other."' William devoted much time to the study of "Philosophy and Physie." Known as "Wise William," he became arbitrator of disputes among his tenants and neighbors.
Extract from: "Pat Cleburne Confederate General", (reprint)
Purdue, Howell and Elizabeth:Hillsboro, Texas: Hill Jr. College Press, 1987.
.......vicinity of London, England, and in Counties Westmeath and Tipperary, Ireland. These families appear to have been, for the most part, of the landed gentry and nobility of the British Isles.
The family traces Its descent from one Bardolph, Lord of Ravensworth, In Richmondshire, and owner of numerous lands In Yorkshire about the end of the eleventh century. His son, Akaris or Acarius Fitz Bardolph died in the year 1161, leaving two sons, Herveus and Walter. The Norman Fitz means "son of".
Of the last-mentioned brothers, Herveus or Hervey Fitz Akaris died about 1182, leaving Issue of Henry, Richard, and Alan. Of these, Alan settled in Westmoreland and adopted the name of "Cleburne" from the manor and estate of Cliburn or Cleburne, in that county, which lands he received about the year 1215. He was the father by his wife, Joan de Ravensweet, of Hervey and Idones, of whom the former, called Harvey de Cliburne, was the father of Geoffrey and Nicholas, and, possibly, of another son, named Roland
Of the last-mentioned brothers, Geoffrey (variously corded as Fitz Hervey and de Cleburne) had,
among other children, Sir Robert, who married Margaret, daughter and co-heir of Henry de
Cundale, of Westmoreland, and was succeeded by his son, John de Clybourne or Cleburne, who
left two sons, Roland and John, of whom the first died young. John, the younger son, then
succeeded to the family estates and was Lord of the manors of Cliburn-Hervey and
Cliburne-Tailboys In 1423. He was the father of Roland or Rowland de Cleburn, who had a son
named John, who married Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Thomas Curwen, a descendant of Malcolm,
King of Scotland, and of Ethelred the Second, King of England.
To this union was born, in the year 1467, a son and heir named Thomas Clyborne. Thomas was succeeded by his son Robert, who was the father by his wife Emma, daughter of George Kirkbridge, of Edmond and Eleanor.
Of these, Edmond or Edmund married Ann Layton, of County Cumberland, and was the father by her of Richard, Thomas, John, William, and Elizabeth. Richard, the eldest of the last-mentioned brothers, is said to have been a "proud, imperious, passionate man" and was embroiled in many of the plots and intrigues In behalf of Mary, Queen of Scots.
By his wife Eleanor, daughter of Launcelot Lancelot, he was the father of Edmund, Gerard, Agnes, Eleanor, Barbara, Jane, Ann, Emma, and one other, who died in infancy.
Of these, Edmund was married in 1576 to Grace, daughter of Sir Alan Bellingham, and had issue by her of Thomas, William; Robert, Agnes, and Dorothy.
Of these, Thomas the eldest son and heir, married Frances, daughter of Sir Richard Lowther, and had issue by her of Edmund, Richard, and William, of whom the first resided in Yorkshire and the last settled In Ireland; while William, the second son of Edmund and Grace, became Secretary of Virginia about 1621 and will be mentioned again later.
Other early, though unconnected records of the family in England include those of Thomas Clabeyn, bailiff of Yarmouth, In the year 1412; those of William Clayborne of County Norfolk, about 1555; those of Thomas Clayborne, Mayor of Lynn Regis, in 1573; and those of Humphrey Cleyborne, who married Margaret Morgan at London In 1604.
Although it Is not entirely clear in every case from which of the many branches of the family In Great Britain the first emigrants of the name to America traced their descent, It Is generally thought that most, If not all, of the Claibornes, Clayborn(e)s, and Clayburns of America derive from a common European ancestor of a remote period.
William Claiborne (Clayborn, Clayburn, Claybourn), before-mentioned Colonial Secretary of Virginia, came to this country In 1621 and was for many years a contestant for the proprietorship of Kent Island, Md. Some historians..........