The Regimental Mascot
of the 95th Regiment of Foot acquired Derby 1 at the siege of Kotah during The
Indian Mutiny 1858. He did, however, have one predecessor, a ram presented to
the 95th by the Raja of Travancore in 1838. 'Derby 1' accompanied the Regiment
during the remainder of the campaign in Central India. He fought 33 battles
with other rams and was never defeated; he marched over 3,000 miles with the
95th and was present in six actions.
He received, with the rest of the Regiment, the India Medal with Clasp
"Central India". This medal can be seen in the Regimental Museum at
Nottingham Castle and a replica is worn by his successor on ceremonial parades.
The ram mascots have traditionally been named Derby and are numbered
consecutively. In recent years the Duke of Devonshire has presented them all.
Most Regiments and Corps have a mascot, but Derby is one of 4 official ones.
Derby enjoys a period of leave every year at the Duke of Devonshire's
estate (Chatsworth House).
Since the amalgamation with the Worcestershire Regiment, 'Derby' has become the
official mascot of The Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters Regiment and
normally serves with the 1st Battalion.
Once a Ram is retired, he returns to Chatsworth to live out his days on the
Derby normally has 2 handlers - a Ram Sergeant and a Ram Orderly. The Ram
Sergeant is entitled to a jumper made from the sheared coat of Derby. It is not
a thing of great beauty, but is worn with pride. Legend has it that Derby's
second handler was introduced as a result of a battle with the Irish Guard's
mascot, an Irish Wolf Hound, which was embarrassing for all and fatal for the
Derby has the rank of Lance Corporal and draws his pay in the form of sweets and