Builders: John Scott & Co Kinghorn 1900
Propulsion type: Paddle
Owners: P & A Campbell Ltd (Furness Railway Co & W H Tucker)
Service dates: 1900 - 1940
Tonnage: Net 127 Gross 320
Launched as Lady Eveleyn, she was named after the wife of a director of the Furness Railway. She was rebuilt in 1904 by Vickers Sons & Maxim at Barrow in Furness, when she was lengthened by some 30 ft and her open foredeck was plated in. She was purchased by Tuckers in 1919 and later by Campbell's in 1922. She was renamed Brighton Belle in 1923. In 1936 she was transferred from the Bristol Channel to the South Coast, which was in more in keeping with her new name. In 1940 she went to the Dunkirk evacuation and after picking up 800 men she struck a submerged wreck which had been mined a few hours earlier. Fortunately all the men were rescued, along with the crew and the Captain's dog. They were picked up by the Medway Queen, who went alongside as she was sinking.
For a cutting from the Daily Mirror in June 1940 showing her stricken at Dunkirk, please click here.
Back to Contents Page
Back to South Coast Index