Builders: Cox & Co, Falmouth 1914
Propulsion type: Paddle compound diagonal
Owner: River Dart Steamboat Co Ltd and various private owners in static use.
Service dates: 1914 - 1962
Tonnage: Gross 97
A lovely little river steamer, Compton Castle was the first in the company's fleet to have portholes instead of square windows and she was also the first to have her upper deck extended onto the paddle sponsons. She plied the River Dart between Totnes and Dartmouth. Originally sporting an open bridge, she had this enclosed with flying bridges added in the 1920's. She continued in service until the end of the 1962 season when her survey showed that she needed extensive repairs if she was to continue to operate. The cost was considered too much and she was replaced by a new motor vessel called Conway Castle. This boat used Compton Castle's wheelhouse and deckrails, following which Compton Castle was sold for static use. Her engines were later removed for exhibition at Bembridge Museum on the Isle of Wight and whilst she remains statically preserved, little of the original structure remains.
Back to Contents Page
Back to Cornwall & South Devon Coast