Churches & Bells of Worcester
6 Bells (unringable), tenor about 11 cwt in G
St Nicholas's was rebuilt during the Georgian period, about 1750, and its distinctive tower and cupola are a prominent feature of Worcester's High Street. Sadly, the church became redundant and is now a “Slug & Lettuce” pub/restaurant.
The six bells still hang in the tower, but everything is quite derelict, the bells not having been rung full-circle since 1939. Until the church closed in 1990 they were chimed regularly by means of an Ellacombe Apparatus.
The two oldest bells are by Richard Sanders, of Bromsgrove, 1715 and 1720. William Brook, the last Worcestershire bellfounder cast the 3rd in 1741, and Thomas Rudhall cast the Treble, 2nd and tenor in 1770.