Churches & Bells of Worcester
6 Bells, tenor 13-0-21 in F
St Swithun's is another of Worcester's Georgian churches. It was closed for worship in 1976 and is now maintained by the Churches Conservation Trust. Its interior, with its Box Pews and Three-Decker Pulpit, is worth seeing, but unfortunately the risk of vandalism means that the church has to be kept locked. Arrangements can be made to view it.
The ring of six comprises three bells from the medieval Worcester Foundry, c.1420, and three by the Worcester bellfounder, John Martin. The latter were cast in 1654, making this one of the oldest rings of six. The bells were retuned and rehung in a new frame in 1973. They have a very characterful sound and are well worth a visit.